This recipe comes from my childhood sweetheart, Bob Sherman. I have
fond memories of this early romance, his Russian family and the food implicit
in such a setting. We are eternal friends.
3 pounds of brisket of beef
2-3 marrow bones
1 small cabbage
3 bunches large beets or two 1-lb. cans julienne beets
1 pound tomatoes or one 1-lb, can tomatoes
½ small can tomato paste
2 T. sugar
2 t. honey
3 t. salt
1 large onion
1. Put meat and bones into a very large pot.
2. Peel and wash beets and put in pot (If you are using canned, wait).
3. Shred cabbage and add. Quarter tomatoes and put in pot, add some salt
and juice of 1/2 lemon. Add as much water as pot will hold (about 2 qts.)
4. When mixture comes to a boil, add more salt, sugar and lemon juice.
Cook for one hour over small flame.
5. Take out beets, grate coarsely and dump back into pot and mix. (Or
add canned beets at this point). Add tomato paste and honey. Taste. Add
more sugar, salt, lemon or whatever, if needed.
6. Cook another 2 hours until meat is very tender.
Let cool and remove fat. Reheat.
7. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.