1 envelope plain gelatin
2 c. milk
2 eggs, separated
3 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla or almond extract
1. Soak gelatin in milk in top of double boiler 5 minutes. Place over
boiling water, and heat until gelatin is dissolved.
2. Beat egg yolks slightly with rotary beater; add 1 T. sugar. Add small
amount of hot milk and mix well. Return to double boiler, and cook, stirring
constantly, 2-3 minutes, or until mixture coats a spoon.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy; add remaining 2 T. sugar gradually, and
continue beating until stiff but not dry.
4. Fold in gelatin mixture. Stir in flavoring, and pour in individual
molds or one larger mold. Chill until firm.
5. Unmold and serve plain or with fruit. Note: It is easy to double or
triple this recipe and use a larger mold. Remember, though, that the cooking
time will be a little longer and so will the jelling time.