MOTHER'S PORK CHOP CASSEROLE
8 pork chops, cut 1/2 inch thick
1 lb. sauerkraut
2 large apples (soft, like Macintosh)
4 large potatoes
Herbs (sage, thyme, oregano)
1. Wash sauerkraut and drain. Mix with caraway seeds and distribute over
broiler pan from oven. Leave a two-inch margin empty around the whole pan.
2. Slice apples in the round into eight thick slices. (Do not core; the
seeds taste like nuts.) Place on top of sauerkraut.
3. Slice onions in the round. Place on top of apples.
4. Place pork chops on top of onions with fat side on the outside of sauerkraut.
Salt, pepper and sprinkle with herbs if desired.
5. Slice potatoes lengthwise. Tuck under fat side of chops (that is why
you need the two-inch space around the pan!) Salt and pepper potatoes
6. Put in oven at 350° degrees for 1 3/4 hours.
Note from Mommy: The fat melts, covering the potatoes. They will come
out Like french fries. The apples disintegrate and brown with the sauerkraut.
The chops absorb the onion taste and the onions mix with the apples. The
chops do not shrink; they are crisp and juicy. Turn chops halfway through
baking. Great dish for cold days. The aroma will permeate the whole house.