The children named this Washington Pancake because it was first prepared
for us by some friends who live near Washington, D.C. It puffs up like
a giant popover.
1/2 c. wholewheat pastry flour
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
Pinch of nutmeg
4 T. butter or margarine
1. Set oven for 425°. Put a heavy 12-inch skillet (preferably the
iron kind with heat proof handle) in the oven to heat.
2. Combine flour, milk, eggs and nutmeg. Beat lightly. Leave batter a
3. Remove skillet from oven; melt butter in pan by returning to oven for
4. Pour batter into sizzling buttered skillet. Bake 15-20 minutes, or
until golden brown and puffed up.
5. Serve with fresh berries or jam or a fruit syrup.
Note: You can easily double recipe and use two frying pans.