1/4 c. softened butter or margarine
1-1/2 pounds ( 3 cups) cream-style cottage cheese
3 eggs, separated
1/4 c. flour
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 c. heavy cream, whipped
1. Crush zwieback fine with rolling pin (or use blender or processor).
Mix with 3 T. sugar and the butter. Press half of mixture firmly on bottom
of buttered 9-inch springform cake pan.
2. Force cheese through ricer or coarse sieve.
3. Beat egg yolks until thick; add 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, salt, cottage
cheese, lemon juice and rind; mix well.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy; add 1/4 c. sugar gradually, and beat until
stiff. Fold, with whipped cream, into cheese mixture. Pour into pan. Sprinke
with remaining crumbs.
5. Bake in slow oven, 300° 1-1/4 hours. Turn off heat; let stand 45
minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on cake rack. (This cake will shrink
some). Remove sides of pan before serving.
8 to 10 servings